Lithuania: LRT kicks off submissions for Eurovizijos 2019; National final on February 23
The Lithuanian national broadcaster LRT, released through its official website the terms for participation in the next national selection, Eurovizijos 2019.
LRT, revealed the conditions for acts and composers to participate in Eurovizijos 2019 which will start next year. The submission window has opened and the deadline expires on December 10. The national final will be held earlier this time, on February 23 and the shows in this edition will be decreased to 8.
Apart from the general EBU regulations, the national broadcaster has put some specific conditions for a national selection participation which are:
- Applications are accepted only from Lithuanian citizens until December 10.
- The acts can participate as solo artists or members of a group
- The applicants can have their own entry ready or can choose one of the songs other composers will have made. This means that even acts without a song can apply for participation.
- The songs submitted can come from local or foreign composers.
- The national broadcaster reserves the right to pick the artist that will perform a specific song, despite the fact that it will take in mind the other performer indicated by the composer of the song.
A special former jury will evaluate the songs and reach down to a total of 20 entries that will compete in the national final. The results will be released on the official site of LRT.
ΤΗΕ EUROVISION STORY SO FAR
Lithuania has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 19 times since its debut in 1994, when Ovidijus Vyšniauskas finished last, receiving nul points. Lithuania withdrew from the contest, not returning until 1999. LT United’s sixth place in 2006 with the song “We Are the Winners” is Lithuania’s best result in the contest. The country reached the top ten for a second time in 2016, when Donny Montell finished ninth with “I’ve Been Waiting for This Night”.
This year the country was represented by Ieva Zasimaskaite with her touching song When We’re Old, which finished 12th in the grand final.