Sweden: SVT reveals the hosts of Melodifestivalen 2021
SVT, the Swedish broadcaster, has released the names of the hosts that will be presenting the 2021 edition of Melodifestivalen, the show through which Sweden traditionally selects the nation’s Eurovision entry.
A total of nine hosts will be responsible to carry out the presentation of all six Melodifestivalen 2021 shows. All shows will be conducted by Christer Björkan accomapanied by a different co-host in every show. Among the nine host we see actors, singers and past Melfest and Eurovision participants.
Namely the hosts that we will see in the six shows are:
- 1st semi final: Lena Philipsson (Swedish Eurovision 2004 act witht the song “It Hurts”)
- 2nd semi final: Oscar Zia & Anis Don Demina (both former Melfest participants)
- 3rd semi final: Jason Diakité (rapper)
- 4th semi final: Per Andersson (actress and comedian)
- Second Chance: Shirley Clamp (Melodifestivalen contestant in past editions)
- Grand Final: Måns Zelmerlöw (Eurovision 2015 winner with the song “Heroes”) & Shima Niavarani (singer and actress).
The six shows will run from March 6 to March 13, 2020. All show will take place at Annexet Arena, where the ESC 2016 press center was hosted. Speisifically the Mello schedule will unfollowing in the following dates:
- 06/02/2021- Semifinal 1
- 13/02/2021- Semifinal 2
- 20/02/2021- Semifinal 3
- 27/02/2021- Semifinal 4
- 06/03/2021- Second Chance (Andra Chansen)
- 13/03/2021- Grand Final
The Eurovision story so far
Sweden has partaken in the Eurovision Song Contest 58 times since making its debut in 1958, missing only three contests (1964, 1970 and 1976).
The Scandinavian country is one of the most successful nations in the Eurovision Song Contest, with a total of 6 victories, just one win behind Ireland. The country has the most top five results of the 21st century, with thirteen. In total, Sweden has achieved 24 top five results in the contest. After finishing second with Lill Lindfors and Svante Thuresson in 1966, Sweden went on to achieve its six victories with ABBA (1974), Herreys (1984), Carola (1991), Charlotte Nilsson(1999), Loreen (2012) and Måns Zelmerlöw (2015).
Last year The Mamas won the Melodifestivalen 2020 with their entry “Move” and together the right to represent the Scandinavian country at Eurovision 2020 in Rotterdam. Unfortunately for them the contest was cancelled due to the covid-19 pandemic depirving them the chance to perform in The Netherlands.